Iowa State University TRIO Talent Search (TS) is a college preparatory program funded by the US Department of Education. The goal of TS is to increase the likelihood that participants graduate from high school and enroll in college. This goal is accomplished by providing participants with academic, financial aid and personal counseling through monthly school visits.
Talent Search serves 1,000 students in grades 6-12 at Fort Dodge, Hampton-Dumont, Marshalltown, Perry and South Tama County middle and high schools. Two-thirds of students served by TS must qualify as first-generation (meaning neither parent has received a Bachelor’s degree) and by income guidelines established by the U.S. Department of Education. Talent Search Advisors work with school counselors and teachers to identify qualified youth who have the potential for college success.
In addition to participating in monthly school visits with advisors, students have the following opportunities:
- Free tutoring in math, science, and writing offered 24/7 through PhotoStudy
- 6th graders spend a day at Iowa State University for Summer Fun in June
- 7th graders visit Iowa State University’s campus in April
- 8th graders visit an Iowa college or university campus in April
- Participate in STEM activities at all grade levels
- 9th graders spend a few days exploring Iowa colleges as part of the “College Tour” in July
- Multiple opportunities for 11-12th grade students to visit colleges
- 9-12th graders spend a week traveling outside of Iowa-visiting educational landmarks, cultural exhibits, and colleges
- Take a career inventory and learn about jobs through Virtual Job Shadow
- 9-12th graders develop leadership skills at the EOA (Educational Opportunity Association) Student Leadership Conference
- Attend workshops and receive help completing the FAFSA
- Plus many more!